Top Tips For Maintaining Ceiling Fans
Ceiling fans are one of the most important electrical appliances in India, especially during the hot summers. Many people believe that due to the arrival of air conditioners, ceiling fans are gradually becoming obsolete in this country, but that is far from the real truth. Moreover, ceiling fans and air conditioners go hand in hand; if you find your electrical bills are too high due to excessive usage of the air conditioner, you can always switch to ceiling fans to reduce the bills.
That being said, fans are one of the most neglected electrical devices. While we take a lot of care for televisions, computers, air conditioners etc. the same cannot be said for the fans. Most of us just take fans for granted, we think that if the fans provide a good service for a maximum of 2 to 3 years, they have done their job. But what if someone told you that you can get 5+ years of service from the same fans?
This might sound untrue, but it can be easily achieved if you follow a few tips like the ones given below –
1. While installing a ceiling fan, make sure that its height is at least 2 to 3 metres above the floor, and the space between the ceiling and the blades should be a minimum of 24 inches. This is important because the performance of the fan will not be optimum if these requirements aren’t met.
2. Lubrication needs be done every week.
3. You should consult an electrician if you find the fan making too much noise, since that means that it is not performing at maximum efficiency.
4. In case the blades are damaged, you should always use fans designed for the same fan or else problems might arise.
5. Use the most modern regulators since using the older box type regulators actually increases power consumption if the speed of the fans are reduced.
6. Also, check the electrical controls carefully and whether the fan speed control is working properly.
Also, if you are keen on making your room and house look good, then you should definitely consider buying designer fans. They offer the same efficiency, but obviously are more expensive than normal ceiling fans. Polycab is one of the major companies specialising in these products.